My Best Friend

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:43 PM

Since Kathy doesn't blog and I am so honored to be so close to her I am going to make a post dedicated to her. Kathy and I met for the first time probably at the Devon Alliance church, which her family attended after moving to Devon from a farm in southern Alberta. I don't really remember meeting Kathy, only that I knew she existed and wasn't all that interested in getting to know her. She was just another girl at this huge church that I felt really uncomfortable in. The first time I remember hanging out with Kathy and really feeling like we had a connection was at Michelon lake for some kind of 'small group' function. Kathy and I spend the whole weekend together, biking up and down the trails, swimming in the lake and casing after boys. We were approximately 11 at the time and we really enjoyed each others company. There was also times when we hung out at small group functions and played with Barbies in the basements...I think this one also one of our first stumbling blocks in our lives...the barbies that is. I don't remember much of those years, between 11 and maybe 15, I know that we hung out often but not nearly as much as you would assume 'best friends' would. But I do remember one thing, when we got together it felt like we were sisters joined at the heart. And that we had never been apart more than a few hours, never mind weeks. When I was finished homeschooling and ready to move into the public high school, I remember the looming feeling as Kathy and I awaited the word. She was told that her dad might be getting transfered to either Ontario or Lacombe! I remember feeling very sad but also honestly feeling like it could never happen. Sitting at the lake, out in my grampa's boat, tied to the pier, Kathy told me the news. "We're moving, but only to Lacombe...so it's not far to drive to see you." I remember crying and feeling like my world would change. And it did...for the better. Kathy moved away with her family and began a new life in Lacombe, the first time I went to visit her there I remember feeling so scared that she was going to meet a new 'best friend' in her new high school. I also remember that everyone in Lacombe called her Katherine...I didn't even know that was her name. I felt overwhelmed but so happy to see her feeling at home there. I honestly don't remember much detail about our friendship and the things we did because it is all a blur. So many things happened while we were in high school and we became very close. But it wasn't until the year after high school that we became as close as we are today. Our souls seemed to join at some point along the journey after high school. Graduation was amazing, Kathy came to my grad which was first in the year, and I went to her's in Lacombe, the only other at her table besides family and her boyfriend at the time. I felt so special to be included in her celebration. We graduated in May and June of 2007, from then until about January of 2008 we definatly dabbled in some things that we now realize the insignificance of, fell into great temptations and did not fight them off. We were having the time our lives, even when we were not dabbling, being ourselves and laughing at every little thing. It was then that Kathy decided she was moving to Manitoba with her brother and then into Ontario to follow her then sweetheart as he prepared to battle for our country. Broken relationships and broken spirits we talked on the phone after she and I both sabotaged our relationships with mistake after mistake. Only a few months after she left I met my sweetheart and began to change my life slowly but surely. She finally moved back in Alberta and began to live her life for God again. I was still struggling with some things that I felt had hold of me that I couldn't shake.

Together, we slowly began to pull out of the mud pit we created ourselves and clean off the sores so that we could begin to heal. In the past 2 years we have grown so much in our relationship together, in our relationships with others, with God and we have learned so much together. Our friendship is never fading, and ever loving. Kathy is such an inspiration to me, she is such a believer and has so much faith. She is traveling the world now, following what she and I both believe is God's path for her life. From helping in New Orleans, to taking school in Three Hills, sleeping under the stars in Montana, serving in Guatemala and now seeing miracles in Thailand, she is truly growing in her walk with God, while I am also here at home in Edmonton. Kathy teaches me more and more about love, life and God everyday than I could imagine. I love her to the ends of the earth and I could forever write about the beautiful memories I had with her. We will conquer together with God's help, but I will never ever leave your side, my best friend.